On 5th May 2016, This was Dinner…
I want to say that I made these especially for Cinco de Mayo but it was entirely a coincidence that I saw them in this month’s Good Food mag and made them on the 5th!
These beautiful tacos are quick and what can be more healthy than a recipe with black beans, avocado and pomegranate seeds? I even left cheese of the menu on these which frankly feels like sacrilege when tacos are involved.
All that was missing was the margarita.
- Drain & rinse a couple of tins of black beans
- Finely chop 4 garlic cloves (3 for the beans, 1 for the guacamole)
- Roughly chop some coriander (most for the guacamole, some for the salsa)
- Finely chop 2 green chillis (1 for the guacamole, 1 for the salsa)
- Finely chop an onion
- Halve & stone a couple of avocados
- Juice a lime
- Get cider vinegar, honey, smoked paprika, ground cumin, pomegranate seeds, tortillas (I used corn & wheat ones), oil & seasoning ready
Throw it together…
Mash up the avocado roughly with a fork and add the garlic, coriander & chilli along with a pinch of salt. Stir in the lime juice and pop the stone back on top to stop it going brown. Pop it in the fridge until you are ready.
Mix the pomegranate seeds with the other chilli, the onion and the coriander. Chill.
Heat the oil very gently in a pan and add the garlic, as it starts to turn golden (be careful not to burn it) add the beans.
Pour in the spices and stir then add the vinegar and the honey and season.
Cook until the beans start to soften, crush a few occasionally until you get the consistency you see in the photo.
Dish it up…
Well the choice is yours but I went with tortilla – black beans – guacamole – salsa – and finish with a flourish of hot sauce. Don’t forget the napkin to wipe your chin!
I can’t recommend these enough. I wish I’d done extra to take to work on Friday. Wait! I had Friday off!
These can be found in the current edition of BBC Good Food so there’s no link.