On a high from my Lemon Drizzle Loaf and expecting company I made Jamie Oliver’s sponge. I love the fact that he adds the rose petals but I was worried ours had bugs so they are missing from my recipe.
- Weigh out 250g unsalted butter, leave to soften.
- Weigh out 250g self raising flour
- Weigh out 250g golden caster sugar
- Leave out 4 large eggs for room temp
- Zest an orange
- Measure out 150ml double cream
- Get 2 tsps caster sugar ready
- Get 4 tbsp raspberry jam ready
- Get fresh raspberries, ½ a vanilla pod & icing sugar ready
- Preheat the oven to 190ºc (fan)
Grease and line two 20cm sandwich tins.
Beat the butter and golden caster sugar until light and fluffy. Add an egg and mix well. Add a heaped tbsp of the flour and mix again, repeat with the other three eggs. Add the remaining flour and the orange zest and fold in.
Divide between the two tins and spread well. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Check it is cooked by inserting a skewer. It’s done if it comes out clean.
Allow to cool in the tins for a little while then turn on to a wire rack.
Once the cake has cooled completely, scrape out the seeds from the vanilla pod, add to the cream and caster sugar and whip until you have soft peaks.
Spread the jam over the bottom half of the cake. Spread the cream then scatter the raspberries on top. Add the top cake layer and dust with icing sugar.
I topped mine off with a sprig of mint.
I have to say, I seem to have got into making the light sponge. I’ll be applying for the Great British Bake Off *next.