On 18th July 2015, This was Dinner…
No I didn’t just eat lemon drizzle cake for dinner. Mr S was going out and I had invited my sister and cousin round for dinner. Emma is vegetarian so I decided to go with:
Chilli Marinated Halloumi
Lemon Drizzle Cake
As Charlotte isn’t a vegetarian, the lemon drizzle cake was my nod to her as it’s her favourite.
The halloumi was easy. Slice some chillis, slice the halloumi, mix it all with oil and leave to marinate until cooking time. Griddle a minute or two on each side and serve in a ‘lettuce cup’. Top with a yoghurt dressing comprising of grated carrot and shredded mince, use up the chillis from the marinade for a little colour.
I made these falafels from a previous post but they broke up a little so here’s the pic from the successful ones. They still tasted good though. I made the taratoor sauce this time, I won’t make it again
- Weigh out 200g salted butter and leave to soften
- Weigh out 200g golden caster sugar
- Weigh 225g self-raising flour
- Weigh 50g natural yoghurt
- Weigh 85g granulated sugar
- Roughly crush some sugar cubes
- Zest 3 lemons and save the juice of 1½
- Leave 3 large eggs at room temperature
- Get two tablespoons of good lemon curd ready
- Preheat the oven to 150ºc (fan)
- Grease a loaf tin (I used a silicon one so did not line it as well)
Put butter, caster sugar and lemon zest in a bowl/mixer and beat until pale and fluffy.
Crack in an egg, whisk to combine, add a heaped tbsp of flour, mix again and repeat with the other two eggs. Add the remaining flour and mix until just combined.
Add the yoghurt and lemon curd and fold with a spatula.
Scrape into the loaf tin and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes. It will be done when a skewer comes out clean.
Leave to cool in the tin for five minutes.
Mix the crushed cubes with the lemon juice and the granulated sugar.
Transfer the cake to a wire rack. Poke holes in the top of the cake, a cocktail stick is perfect. Spoon the sugar mixture over the cake and leave to soak in.
Find the BBC Good Food recipe here.
On Sunday we had takeaway pizzas.