On 28th March 2015, This was Dinner…
We are in the midst of Meat Free Week. This is my contribution*. I’m sorry, I can’t do a full week. Last year I decided that we were going to do National Vegetarian week but we failed spectacularly with a weekday trip to the supermarket to make a mixed grill ;-/ Whoops. We do have a lot of meat free meals but I found a full week too hard.
The recipe this is based on can be found here on the BBC Good Food website. I had to adapt a little and there was no peeling with mine. I went a bit more rustic!
- Chop a few shallots
- Finely chop a couple of garlic cloves
- Finely chop a chilli
- Deseed and chop a butternut squash
- Roughly chop some sun dried tomatoes
- Get cherry tomatoes, pickled jalapeños. tin of black beans, vegetable stock pot, cayenne pepper, pitted green olives, dried oregano, a bay leaf, red wine, sour cream, oil & seasoning ready.
Heat some oil in a pan and add the shallots and garlic. Cook until softened.
Add the chilli, cayenne, oregano and bay leaf and stir for a minute. Pop the squash and olives in along with the red wine. Simmer for a few minutes then add the cherry tomatoes along with the stock pot and a cup of water.
Stir well, bring to the boil, reduce, cover and cook for half hour. Don’t forget to give it the odd stir.
Add the sun dried tomatoes and the jalapeños along with some seasoning. If it seems like it is drying out, add a bit more water. Stir it well then cover again and cook for 15 minutes.
Add the beans along with their liquid and cook for another 15-20 minutes.
Serve with a dollop of sour cream, we also made our own flat breads.
We all really enjoyed this. Lot’s of great flavours.
* and my vegetarian sister was coming (which is obviously the real reason)