I’ve been away all weekend, one of the ‘downsides’ of this is that I don’t get chance to go to the market. So I have to do my best at damage limitation. Choose meals that don’t need the best bits of meat etc. It bothers me that I have to buy my eggs from the supermarket as they are less quality for more money but needs must.
- Peel as many potatoes as you require, cut up into small(ish) squares
- Dice an onion
- Open a tin (or 2) of corned beef and chop into squares the size of your potatoes (take care not to cut your finger on those stupid tins – as I did)
- Get out your eggs and crack into individual small bowls with a dash of vinegar
- Chop some parsley
- Par boil your potatoes
- Drain potatoes and leave for a few minutes to dry out a little
- Soften your onion in some oil
- Add a knob of butter
- Once it’s foaming throw in your potatoes & up the heat a little. DO NOT move them around in the pan, you want a nice bit of crispiness on those potatoes.
- Turn infrequently
- Don’t let the potatoes break down completely as you don’t want them too soft but you want some to break down. Get a potato masher and lightly press in the pan.
- Pop your corned beef in, again don’t stir too much as you want the edges of some of the meat to caramelise.
- Check seasoning
- Poach your eggs.
- Sprinkle the mixture with parsley
- Stick it in a bowl
- Pop your egg on top
- Serve with ketchup.
I was a huge lover of ketchup (or tomato sauce) as a child and would cover anything in it. This is about the only thing I put it on now. Perfect.
Made 5th March 2013.